Very Appropriate for Our Rainy Day

Our farmers would like to see several more days of rain, but probably not 40 days and nights. This very bright baby quilt was made with Avlyn fabrics. The Noah’s Ark print is adorable, and the green polka dots coordinate perfectly. I also used those strips I told you about yesterday – the Borders & More line from Avlyn. I couldn’t find a picture of the yardage in this particular colorway, but here it is in Christmas colors: AVLYN BORDERS & MORE Yes, I think I have some of that, too.

The Flying Geese strips and the Goose Tracks blocks are all printed instead of pieced. Black borders on either side of the strips made it look more like real piecing. For a more “authentic pieced” look, I could quilt around each little piece. Yeah, right…. I’m thinking that when I get around to quilting this one, I will just stipple it. Much faster!

Advertisements

UFO Reduction Report

This flannel baby quilt is made by sewing pairs of circles, having right sides together, cutting a slit in one side and turning them right side out. Find the inscribed square and sew along the straight edges. Open up the sides and stitch them down. Hey Presto. Instant quilt. The pieces for this instant quilt have been sitting in my attic for about four years. They were already turned right out; I just had to sew them together.

I think the reason I abandoned the project was that I started cutting slits on the solid side of the circle (WRONG!) instead of the printed side (RIGHT!), so I had to sew it in the pattern opposite of what I intended. This is the one I finished four years ago. I like it much better:

I had three pieces left over, so I stacked them up, quilted a spiral through all six layers, and cut the edges so it would “rag up”. A hotpad for my kitchen table!

Then I moved on to a Tumbling Blocks quilt. I cut the pieces many years ago, intending to piece it by hand while traveling or sitting on the bleachers at Little League baseball games. (My sons are now 22,24 and 31.) In the interest of finishing it in my lifetime, I just pieced it together by machine. Still a lot of work, with all those short little inset seams! I made it a nice wall quilt size, about 49″ square, because it wouldn’t have the same visual impact on a bed. I confess… I threw out the remaining 100 diamonds.

About six years ago, I made tote bags for all my female friends and relatives at Christmas time. These two never got sewn up and have been sitting in a bag in the attic:

Then I moved on to those Cowgirl Boot blocks I mentioned earlier. I had 33 of them. They were kind of boring sitting up straight, so I set them cockeyed with spiky triangle borders. I made a 20-block quilt, a 9-block quilt and am currently working on 4 totebags.

I’ll post pics of the Boot Bags when they are done. I’ve also started on the pre-printed fabric project. I’m mixing up that fabric with some cute Noah’s Ark fabric to make a baby quilt. It’s pretty wild… I’m not sure the baby could actually sleep with it!